In previous article, we’ve discussed some basic approaches of forming color palettes in web design. Here, you can find some tips of using negative space and gradient.
A gradient is a graceful blending of colors that allows you to achieve a new color and tone. Actually, gradient is not a new effect in web design. However, it still has lots of hidden features. First of all, gradient emphasizes other objects on the page. Therefore, it seems that the page acquires a new dimension. So the main task the gradient successfully copes with is addition of depth to the visual composition.
As the use of gradients grows popular in virtual space, it is important to know some essential tips of working with this technique.
- Avoid conflicting shades. There are many specialized tools which can help you choose the best color combinations.
- Remember that optimal gradients consist of 2-3 colors.
- Remember about the light source. Otherwise, the arrangement of shades breaks the basic rules of gradient creation.
- Choose linear gradient for polygonal and square objects, use radial gradient for circular ones.
Negative space is one of the current trends, which will hardly disappear in 2019. It is the area of the layout that remains empty (both around and inside objects). Negative space in web design is often found in logos, posters and lettering, where it becomes an active part of a visual presentation making key objects more expressive. The advantages of clever usage of negative space in web design are the following:
- it makes the page more readable;
- it improves the visual hierarchy;
- it maintains a visual connection between the site elements;
- it provides enough air on the page so that it does not feel cluttered;
- It focuses the user’s attention on the basic elements.
In general, we can say that in 2019 web design will most likely develop and elaborate those trends that have already shown their influence.